The goal of the AISES Leadership Summit is to build the skill and aptitude levels of AISES members in the realm of professional and career development - to better prepare them to attain jobs and careers in STEM fields. To that end, AISES welcomes engaging and innovative session proposals focused on leadership and professional development, including those that integrate indigenous knowledge and values.
Each year AISES strives to provide energizing, inspirational, and thought-provoking content at the AISES Leadership Summit. We thank all previous presenters for contributing their insight and expertise. This year, AISES requests new sessions with content never before presented at an AISES event, with the focus specifically on leadership development. By leadership development, we mean content focused on one or more of the following:
- Strengthening core ethical values, personal values, and convictions to lead with integrity
- Fostering inter-personal relationships by respecting the dignity and contribution of all people
- Understanding leadership and leadership styles by breaking-down and discussing their components
- Developing and defining personal and collective values and vision for the future
- Understanding how relationships, trust, and problem-solving contribute to team-building
- Creating communities which value respect, openness, and diversity
Student and professional attendees should leave sessions with a clear understanding of how the session content will contribute to their leadership development. AISES will prioritize energetic and interactive sessions (i.e. small group dialogue, world café method, live polls, tech-powered panel discussions, etc.).
Session Length: 50 minutes
- Higher Education track for undergraduate and graduate students in STEM
- Professional track for AISES members currently in the STEM workforce (includes entry-, mid-career, and seasoned professionals)
Proposal Review Process
All proposals will be evaluated by AISES staff and a review committee comprised of student representatives, AISES board, and the Council of Elders. Please be advised that the committee reserves the right to decline or accept your proposal in full, or in part, in the interest of providing a balanced program. In some cases, AISES may request that sessions be combined and/or modified to meet the event’s objectives. Your flexibility and willingness to work with individuals with similar and/or related topics is appreciated.
Timeline and General Information
- 2018 Leadership Summit is March 15 – 17, at the Viejas Casino & Resort in Alpine, California
- Deadline for submission of proposals: January 12, 2018
- Notification of acceptance begins: January 29, 2018
- Presenters are invited to submit proposals that cater to both tracks.
- Session rooms will come equipped with A/V set up, wireless internet, head table, podium, and microphone. A/V setup includes projector, screen, and Windows laptop (no audio). Presentations should be formatted in 16:9 ratio for best appearance.
- Presenters are responsible for providing all other materials necessary for their presentations besides A/V.
Logistics for Presenters
AISES will offer a 50% discount to session presenters (limit 2 discount codes per session, non-transferable) to attend the Leadership Summit. AISES requests you do NOT register for the Summit until session notifications are sent; no refunds will be processed for those who register and then wish to apply the presenter discount code. Codes will be provided after sessions have been selected.
- Presenters are responsible for their own travel, lodging and other related expenses.